Saturday, February 11, 2012

Anyone using a sisal rug? Bamboo 'rug'?

I have found one that I really like but I have been told that they are not easy to clean and not really good for high traffic areas. Also I like the bamboo rugs but I am not certain about those for the same reasons. Any of you have any experience on these?

Anyone using a sisal rug? Bamboo 'rug'?
Yes I've used sisal and it is difficult to keep clean. Spills are difficult to clean up because they get into the weave and go straight through to the flooring below. Further, even vacuuming doesn't always get the grit that falls below the weave to the flooring underneath. It does not do well with moisture or applications where there is the potential for water to get on it as it molds/mildews easily. There is however, an all weather "faux" sisal (I got a wonderful area rug 5x8' that I use outside on my patio). It can be hosed off, is impervious to mold/mildew, wears better than sisal, it is less expensive than genuine sisal and is easier on the feet than sisal. I put a fabric border on my faux sisal rug with hot glue and it has been out there for 2 years looking like the day I purchased it. I got mine at chez Target Botique and they now carry ones with assorted fabric borders as well as without.
Reply:sisal is very difficult to clean. if you have pets or kids, forget it! mine became very worn in just less than 2 years. also, the fibers would get stuck in my vacuum. i had to get a new one because of it!



i have bamboo rugs, both the ones with the backing and no backing, at all of my entry ways and they've held up pretty well. i wouldn't vacuum them-just sweep and give them a cleaning with a damp sponge. they do however slide around a bit, even with the rug grip.



my latest rug i got was an inexpensive berber area rug and so far i'm pretty happy with it. my dogs have already christened it (check my profile pic, cute but terrors!) but it cleaned up very nicely. you could consider berber in a "sisal" color as another option.


No comments:

Post a Comment