Sunday, February 5, 2012

Help my Lucky Bamboo?

My Lucky Bamboo has brown leaves and seems to be dying on me. I have it in a small vase with water, but would it be beneficial to transfer it to a bigger area? Do they thrive better in soil? My Mom who has recently passed away got it for me, and I want to try to save it. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

Help my Lucky Bamboo?
Keep water fresh by changing it every week, and always keep water levels at approximately an inch from the base of the canes. Lucky Bamboo prefers plenty of indirect sunlight and room temperatures at 65-70o. Although opinions differ on feeding, your Lucky Bamboo is a living organism, so it makes sense to occasionally add a mild solution to the water such as African Violet fertilizer. Since growth can be controlled by feeding, small amounts of fertilizer will keep the plant at a manageable size.



Why Are the Leaves Turning Yellow?



Two of the most common factors are 1.) too much direct sunlight; and 2.) too salty or heavily-flouridated tap water. Give your new Lucky Bamboo a thriving start be sure to keep it away from direct sunlight, and water only with filtered or natural spring water. Pinch off bad leaves or trim with scissors.
Reply:Remove the dead leaves by just plucking them off, only pluck off the really dead leaves though. Maybe it needs a bigger vase, or the water your using may have alot of chlorine or heavy metals that maybe be the problem. Try using distilled water and put it in a sunny spot. ~Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment