Sunday, February 5, 2012

How to protect bamboo cutting board?

Hi, I am going to purchase a Bamboo cutting board and I've heard of other people saying theirs has split in half or cracked. To prevent this, I hear I need to apply Food Safe Mineral Oil to the board. How often would I need to do this if I use my cutting board everyday, cutting a few vegetables a day and hand washing it with soap and water everyday after each use?

How to protect bamboo cutting board?
Initially use the food safe mineral oil after each use. All that you do is use a squirt about the size of a dime and rub it in with a paper towel. After a couple of weeks just use the oil for conditioning, about once a month. The mineral oil is very inexpensive and little goes a long way. My board is old with a beautiful patina. When I cut anything questionable on it I just spray it with a disinfectant ( like 409), wipe it off and condition it. For fruits and vegetables I just wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Reply:I use mine at least two times a day, usually three times a day, and have had it for about a year. I haven't had any cracks at all. I just scrub it after I use and store it upright so it dries quickly. It doesn't get roughed up the way regular wood cutting boards do, but the finish does get a bit worn. I can't complain, though. I think I paid five bucks for it and it's the best cutting board I've ever used.


No comments:

Post a Comment