Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I want to put bamboo floors in my house. How easy would it be to do myself?

If I should just stick to having it professionally installed, how much does it cost? Also, is it all glue-down or are there some bamboo floors that snap together?

I want to put bamboo floors in my house. How easy would it be to do myself?
There are two companies that I know for sure make lock and fold (snap together) bamboo flooring. One is called Bamboo Fusion, the other is called Teragren. I would say cost wise, you're looking at roughly $8.00 a sf, depending on your state and where you buy them. Buying bamboo floors can be difficult, as there are a lot of companies out there that sell inferior bamboo products. Usually those woods have been harvested too early and end up denting and scratching easily. A good, stranded bamboo floor is going to the the hardest type that you can get, which, if high quality, is harder than Brazillian Cherry, which is one of the hardest woods. I know that Teragren and Bamboo Fusion make quality products that are both going to last a long time.

Installation should be relativley easy. Your hardest part will probably be cutting the pieces for angles and doorways. Just make sure that you have the proper tools, and it should go together easily.
Reply:They do make a tongue and groove, snap together bamboo flooring that is easy to install yourself. Just count on removing your existing baseboards first and then using a quarter round once you installed the floor and replaced the baseboard for a finished professional look. The HGTV website has instructions and I think even a video.

art

No comments:

Post a Comment