Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Knitting with bamboo yarn?

is bamboo yarn warm? i'd like to make knitty's clapotis and I want to know if it will work and be warm.



i was think specifically this yarn.

http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1...



thanks!

Knitting with bamboo yarn?
i worked with bamboo yarn a year ago august and was very surprised at how cool it styaed against my skin. save it for warm weather items.
Reply:I recently finished an outfit with bamboo yarn, from Webs, in fact, the lingerie nightie from the spring IWK, as a gift. The recipient has not reported it is exceptionally warm to wear (of course the pattern is also exceptionally short, too %26lt;G%26gt;). The yarn was, however, from Alchemy. It was ok to knit with, although you should use sharp needles with it to avoid splitting it. I was, however, disppointed with it because it was a hand-dyed, and when I washed the garment prior to blocking and gifting it, the dye ran significantly and made the three skeins I used, all from the same dyelot, btw, come out three separate and distinctly different shades. While I don't know if all bamboo yarns will run like that, I'd strongly suggest swatching and washing it like you would expect to finish the garment and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment