Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Have you tried growing bamboo?

I live in SE Pennsylvania and have limited space. I would like it to grow about 8-10 feet. I have a rocky bed with direct morning sun about 2 ft x 8 ft. Where can I purchase bamboo?

Have you tried growing bamboo?
I wouldn't recommend bamboo in such a small space. I had one in my yard (Alarge yard,) and a couple of years after completing the landscaping, I found shoots of bamboo coming up as far away from the main plant as twenty-five feet. The runners didn't go under the sod, but through it, so that when I pulled them out, a trough remained. My whole yard was like that. Needless to say, that bamboo was soon a part of history.
Reply:Tread carefully, bamboo is very hardy and aggressive, it will take over an area and every spring come back even stronger. It spreads via runners and is very hard to contain. I strongly suggest that you keep it in large pots above ground so you can control its spread. 4 large containers spaced out over your 2 x8 foot area should be plenty. You might want to consider American Native bamboo which is slow to spread, likes to clump and can reach heights of 30 feet. There are also black and red bamboos, just make sure the one you choose is hardy in your zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment